Wednesday 17 June 2009

Ukulele Lady











Is it possible to learn the ukulele in two days? Or, more precisely, to learn three chords? 

On Saturday in Devonshire Square, London EC2 is the London Uke Festival and, as part of it, there will be an attempt to break the world record for the most ukes playing together in one place.

I used to play guitar but have never attempted the uke (see, I have picked up the jargon). But several friends of mine (who can play) are going and have a spare uke so somehow I am now going to join them.

The song is Sloop John B. The chords are very basic indeed so it shouldn't be any problem. I hope. My finger tips have lost the hard pads they once had, for a start. And my hands are not exactly tiny.

I don't even have the uke yet, I may get it tonight or tomorrow. I've been practising in my head, which is just as good - isn't it?

One thing we are decided on: we will not be dressing Hawaiian as they suggest. No loud shirts for us.

There will be proper players there and various other events and uke-related stuff. It's a whole new world. I shall report back.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I hope you do well and can progress to a banjolele and do George Formby songs!

    ReplyDelete